I knitted a raglan cardigan for myself. It doesn’t really fit. I only use it when I’m in pyjamas or when nobody sees me. So I’m going to frog parts of it and turn it into a cat blanket. One can never have too many of those…

Britney bij breiwerk

Britney bij breiwerk

 

Britney OP breiwerk

Britney OP breiwerk

 

On ravelry, I’ve noted the lessons from this project:

 First I started with the standard raglan sweater pattern from Hoensestrik and had knitted the body + 1,5 sleeve. I was rather far with the 2nd sleeve, but found that my gauge was really too far off for them to be comfortable. So I frogged it. And started over again….

Gauge: 10X10 cm = 19 st X 28 rows.

finally finished this thing last month (jan 2010). Am not entirely satisfied. Will use it as a learning project 😉 The back is too wide, the sleeves too long, the collar to wide, all of it too big except the sleeves which are fine. I’ll use it indoors 😉 

—–
december 2010
I found out, that I had mismeasured my arms (they were shorter) and that the measurements on the back were too wide. Also I had 1 or 2 sts less per 10 cm than in my swatch, and in the raglan part a more than that. So this is what I’ve learned:

– Knit the swatch in the round. My knitting in the round is loser than to and fro. [I did knit the swatch in the round, actually…. I’m too inconsistant].
– Base measurements on an existing cardigan, not only my body.
– Knit the raglan part with thinner needles (0,5 should do)
– check the gauge while knitting.

 Hopefully, I’ll make a better job of what I ‘design’ myself. I don’t see to have a lot of success making stuff myself. Alas, it seems that autodidact means ‘not good at it’ in this case….


Advertisements